How did all start?

January 1st 2011, we were on our way to the temple when we started a discussion on being fit. One lead on to another and I said 'How nice it will be to run a marathon? ' One lead on to another and by 2 pm my son walks into a Nike store and got me a pair of running shoes!!!Now I am really stuck. All my life I have been telling my children about aiming high, look for the stars, setting goals which are seemingly impossible etc...
It is time, at 47 years, I have to say that I will do it
So I did - Save be GOD!!!!!
We came home, I googled - to look for an idiots guide to running marathon. Finally landed up in the California International Marathon Page (http://www.runcim.org/) Went into my calendar and marked December 4th, 2011 - for running the Sacramento Marathon.
Watched a movie and went to sleep...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

8th week - Visit to Central Park

Cannot believe that I lived for 3 years in New York and never actually went into this paradise. It was a beautiful Saturday and I ran a cool 6 miles inside the park and it felt like heaven.
One of the best things I have learnt from running is that it gives me time to think and enjoy my own time. When I travel, since in general I do not like parties (totally opposite to my younger days!) I tend to spend time in the room in front of the TV. Now, my new found hobby is keeping me engaged.
The only bad thing is after the run, I was so hungry for Indian food, I called Dr. Bala in Houston, an eminent cardiologist to give me some suggestions. He was nice enough to give me a good list of choices, but I chose the wrong one!
Well - so crossed the 6 mile mark this week!

Quote of the week:

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I loose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."

I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs. ~Jesse Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment